What is Happiness

Happiness is a feeling that is under appreciated in this day in age. I'm happy when I don't have a lot of work to do, the feeling of being free from hard work and being able to do what I want when I want makes me happy. However, I am lucky enough to have a simple peaceful life unlike most other people in the world.  The National Happy Index is a great way to learn about world's happiness or lack there of. To measure the people's happiness, everyone must be accounted for regardless of gender, race or social class. Without looking at statistics I already know that most of the world is not happy. It is so easy to focus on negative things that we never stop and think about the happy things in life.

The story "I have been called a Luddite" is an adorable short story about a man who is not fond in new technology but finds happiness is the simple things in life. In the story the main character narrates his trip to the post office to mail a letter. At the end he says, "How beautiful it is to get up and go out and do something. We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anyone tell you any different."  This summarizes the story beautifully by stating that people should go out on adventures more often even if it is simple trip out to the store and they need to be grateful for the peacefulness of it, because not everyone in the world is lucky enough to do it.

The article, "But Does It Make You Happy?" by the New York Times's Stephanie Rosenbloom, once again capture the idea of focusing on to positive side of life. It states, "New studies of consumption and happiness show, for instance, that people are happier when they spend money on experiences instead of material objects..." People in today's society often get caught up trying to 'outdo the Joneses' that they loose sight on the small happy things in life.  Keeping up with the Joneses is a phrase that means one is trying to emulate or surpass another's status or life. Over all people need to stop and smell the roses. There are many happy things in the world all what you need to do is shine a light on them.

This is a painting I did the year 2018 that makes me happy when I look at it.
Copyright Julie Hillman


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I am Julie

GAP Ads